Michael G. Hendler
For over 40 years, Michael G. Hendler, has concentrated his practice in the area of family law and litigation. From January, 1999 until July 1, 2012 he served as Managing Member of the Firm. He is a past President of the Maryland Chapter, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, a national organization whose mission is to preserve the best interests of the family and of society, improve the practice, elevate the standards, and advance the cause of Matrimonial Law and has served on its national Board of Directors. Mr. Hendler has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2001-2016.
Mr. Hendler has served as the past Chair of the Family and Juvenile Law Section Council of the Maryland State Bar Association. He has been a faculty member of the Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers and has lectured to the Maryland State Bar Association on topics including Marital Property and Taxes. He has given presentations to accounting firms and other groups on expert witness testimony and business valuations.
Mr. Hendler is certified by The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers as an arbitrator and has completed the Harvard Negotiation Workshop. He successfully completed the Maryland State Bar Association mediation training in compliance with the Maryland Rules of Procedure.
Mr. Hendler enjoys golf and spent over twenty-five years volunteering his time as a member of the National Ski Patrol System and is a past American Heart Association CPR Instructor. He is past President of Box 414 Association, Inc., a volunteer fire buff association. He and his wife, Royce, reside in Baltimore City, Maryland.
- Litigation Group
- Family Law Group
- Arbitration and Mediation
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 1965
- B.A., University of Maryland, 1963
- 2016 Best Lawyers® in America, Family Law "Lawyer of the Year" Baltimore
- 2015 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2015 Best Lawyers® in America, Family Law "Lawyer of the Year" Baltimore
- 2014 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2013 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2012 Leadership in Law, The Daily Record
- 2012 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2011 Top Ten Maryland Super Lawyers
- 2011 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Family Law
- 2010 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Family Law
- 2009 Maryland Super Lawyers, Law & Politics Baltimore Magazine, Family Law
- Best Lawyers® in America (2001-2014)
- James v. James, 96 Md.App, 439, 626 A.2d 381 (1993)
- Beery v. Maryland Medical Laboratory, 89 Md.App. 81, 597 A.2d 56 (1991)
- Sody v. Sody, 32 Md.App. 644, 363 A.2d 568 (1976)
Professional and Civic Involvement:
- Completed the Maryland State Bar Association mediation training program.
- Certifed as an Arbitrator through American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (2007 - present)
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (former National Board of Governors, Past President-Maryland Chapter - 1999 - 2001)
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association (Past Chair - Family and Juvenile Law Section)
- The Bar Association of Baltimore City (Family Law Section)
- Baltimore County Bar Association (Family Law Section)
Publications and Lectures:
- "The evolution of DOMA, and questions still unanswered, co-author with Christine R. Hogan, Esq., Maryland Family Law Update, March 2014
- Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers (MICPEL) "Marital Property Workshop," "Hot Tips on Family Law" and "Advanced Matrimonial Taxation Workshop"
“Divorce Mediation” (March/April 1989) Maryland Bar Journal, Weatherly, Julia B. and Hendler, Michael G.